[Massplanners] [**EXT**] Re: Some MBTA Communities Questions

Eric Salerno esalerno at tyngsboroughma.gov
Wed Mar 2 14:40:45 EST 2022

I definitely don't envy your situation, Katrina. If Tyngsborough hadn't
already extended water and sewer up their retail corridor, and other parts
of Town, I think there would be similar reactions here (and perhaps there
still will be). It's unfortunate that the lines that were just installed
might have been sized differently if this potential zoning change was
known. In our region around Lowell, sewer capacity is an
exceptionally limiting factor. When that was brought up in one of the
summary / guidance calls, package/wastewater treatment plants were
suggested - I'm not sure yet what to think of that. If other communities
have comments or suggestions to add about that, I'd be interested.

Anyhow, here are answers to Chris' questions for Tyngsborough:

*Q:* What specific issues or criteria is your community focusing on related
to your comments and how are you phrasing your comments? Are you proposing
any alternatives or modifications?

*A:* Comments are largely centered around utility capacity and the lack of
consideration of previous multi-family and affordable housing development.
If utilities are a limiting factor, I think it would make sense to get some
financial commitments from the State for improvements if a community's
amended zoning complies. Some communities have supported and completed many
new, dense housing developments over the last 5-10 years while others have
had very little. This legislation treats them all the same. While we're
aware that it's strictly focused on zoning, and existing units can be
located within a designated district, if a community's multifamily
developments have been more spread out, it's harder to include them.

*Q:* What kind of technical assistance are you thinking about now? Is it
one of the options suggested in outreach materials such as MHP, RPA’s, etc.
or are you thinking about something else?

*A:* We applied for and received DLTA funding through our RPO to evaluate
districts/boundaries and draft preliminary zoning amendments.

*Q:* How do you envision engaging the public during this process? Do you
want them to “drive the bus”, “keep them informed”, or something in between?

*A:* I think the Town's boards (and I) expect to keep the public informed
with various options or studies provided through the DLTA scope, but don't
anticipate the public in general to "drive the bus." Since it will
ultimately require Town Meeting approval though, it eventually *will* be up
to them.

*Q:* What kind of solution or solutions do you think you will proceed with?
Will you try to integrate this into other initiatives or develop something
from scratch? Are you considering mixed-use? Will you try to develop a
complementary inclusionary housing bylaw? What is your approach?

*A:* As an adjacent community, we have until the end of 2024 to actually
pass an amendment, so I am hoping to come up with a separate overlay
district(s) that goes beyond "just getting something done" and accomplishes
or incorporates the following:

   - Obviously, compliance with the new legislation's density and area
   requirements.
   - Potentially increasing density based on distance from the main artery
   in the area where I anticipate the district to be located (higher density
   farther away/deeper in the parcel, leaving room for mixed use or retail
   closer to vehicular traffic). I think it could have a positive impact on
   the Town's commercial and retail development.
   - I would like to evaluate the potential for two or three separate
   district areas that exceed the total required area and take location
   requirements into consideration, but are smaller on an individual basis in
   order to include previously developed multi-family housing and
   existing multi-family districts in the "new MBTA Community District." It
   sounds like this would be subject to the discretion of DHCD/MassDOT.
   - Is subject to the Town's existing Inclusionary Bylaw, which I believe
   may be amended itself by then or at the same time to limit in-lieu options.

-Eric

Eric Salerno
Town Planner/Dir. Eco. Dev't.
Town Hall, 25 Bryant Ln.
Tyngsborough, MA 01879
Direct: 978-743-5361
Please Note New Town Hall Hours (trial through March 31, 2022)

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

8:30 AM

8:30 AM

8:30 AM

8:30 AM

Closed

4:30 PM

4:30 PM

*7:00 PM*

4:00 PM

*If you have received this message in error, please contact by return email
or via phone at (978) 649-2300, and delete the copy you received. Thank
you.*

*In Massachusetts, the term "public record" is broadly defined to include
all documentary materials or data created or received by any officer or
employee of any governmental unit, regardless of physical form or
characteristics, unless it falls under one of the statutory exemptions to
the Public Records Law. G.L.c. 4, 7(26). Consequently, email is subject to
the disclosure, retention, and maintenance provisions as required by law.
G.L.c. 66*