[Massplanners] Some MBTA Communities Questions

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Tue Mar 1 09:43:52 EST 2022

Hi Chris,
I'm interested in seeing the responses.  I'm also wondering if there are any other communities that reacted with a "hell no" when presented with the Draft Guidelines.  It took effort to persuade our Select Board to even submit the Community Information Form.  Unless something gives, I don't think I will be directed to work on meeting the MBTA guidelines - and as a left leaning rule follower - this is difficult for me.  Of course, I can still work to adopt inclusionary zoning, form a housing trust, and improve housing affordability in Middleton, but the MBTA requirements are too overwhelming for a small town with no sewer and lack of drinking water.  I think what also added fuel to the "hell no" fire is that Middleton pays its annual MBTA assessment and yet has no bus, no park and ride lot (but we do have "The Ride" - and it is only defined as an MBTA community because it is adjacent to communities that have buses.

Of course, the reaction to the Draft Guideline presentation may have been the initial knee jerk reaction to the MBTA Community mandate, but I have to choose my battles because I'm spread thin here - and meeting the MBTA requirements seems like it will be an exercise in frustration for me - unless something changes.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.