[Massplanners] Short Term Rentals

Lisa Davis ldavis at davisplanning.com
Tue Aug 9 14:47:05 EDT 2022

The town of Killington, Vermont adopted short term rental regs in 2020.
They are within zoning, but we are now thinking of making it an ordinance
as in Vermont, it's easier to assess fees it it's an ordinance and not a
zoning bylaw. Short term rentals are permitted in all zoning districts and
a zoning permit and fee is required if you rent for more than 14 days in a
given year. The maximum number of occupants in a short-term rental unit is
2 persons per legal bedroom plus 2 more so for a 3-bedroom unit, you can
rent to a maximum of 8 people.  The zoning permit requires evidence of a
wastewater permit which in Vermont is issued by the state. This has created
alot of issues because people are listing their properties for more
bedrooms then is allowed by their septic permit.  The zoning administrator
is continually scanning airbnb and vrbo to make certain people are not
advertising for more bedrooms then allowed per their permit.  The other
requirement is evidence of a Fire Safety Inspection since Killington has no
building code, but public buildings do need a fire safety inspection and
these properties are deemed public buildings by the State Division of Fire
Safety.

We are going through the process of revising the regulations and in
addition to changing them to a general ordinance we are looking into
further restrictions. The town has over 700 units that have received zoning
permits for short term rentals, and it has certainly impacted the rental
market. People are now buying houses with the sole purpose of operating
them as short-term rental units which is making us question whether we
should be allowing them in all zoning districts, and whether we should
adopt further restrictions. For example, should properties that are
operated as short-term rental units need more parking since we are often
seeing homes with people parking all over the road.  Noise and trash are
also issues. its definitely been a learning experience.

Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Lisa Davis, AICP
Planning Consultant