[Massplanners] Short Term Rentals

Angela Cleveland clevelanda at amesburyma.gov
Tue Aug 9 14:02:14 EDT 2022

Hello All!
Amesbury passed our Short-Term Rental Zoning Ordinance and Regulations (as a General Ordinance) back in the Fall of 2021. We explored whether it should be a general ordinance vs. zoning and found (after research and discussion with our attorneys) that it would be better served as a zoning ordinance. Please see attached for responses to the other bullets, but here are the short answers:

  *   Both – Zoning Ordinance and General Ordinance for Licensing Process
  *   Yes, we can revoke the permit (see licensing process)
  *   Yes, we can issue fines (see licensing process)
  *   We do not restrict short term rentals to geographic locations (see Zoning Ordinance)
  *   Yes, we adopted a licensing process

I don’t believe I can attached the documents, so here are the final Ordinances adopted by City Council:

2021-093 Ordinance to Establish a Licensing Process for Short Term Leases of Residential Units<https://www.amesburyma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/828/2021-093-Ordinance-to-Establish-a-Licensing-Process-for-Short-Term-Leases-of-Residential-Units---Certification-of-Vote-PDF>

2021-105 Ordinance to Establish Zoning Ordinance for Short Term Rentals of Residential Units<https://www.amesburyma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/852/2021-105-Ordinance-to-Establish-Zoning-Ordinance-for-Short-Term-Rentals-of-Residential-Units----Final-Version-PDF>
Angie

ANGELA CLEVELAND, AICP
Director
Community & Economic Development