[Massplanners] Financing sewer

Paul DiGiuseppe pdigiuseppe at nortonmaus.com
Fri Jun 21 11:11:49 EDT 2024

Happy Friday!

Our town is considering expanding the sewer system, and we're seeking best practices for financing the project and gaining public support. Currently, the entire cost of connection and betterment falls on property owners whose land will be serviced by the new line. This approach has understandably caused frustration and resistance. We'd like to explore alternative financing options to ease the burden on affected property owners.  Are there any good examples in Massachusetts?  Can betterments be spread to all property owners within the municipality?

Additionally, our local bylaw mandates connection to the sewer system within seven years, which is another point of concern for some residents. We'd appreciate learning about your community's connection requirements and if there's a different timeframe in place.  Do any municipalities simply require connection when a septic system fails or property is sold?

Have a wonderful weekend!

Paul

Paul DiGiuseppe, CNU-A, MPA
Director of Planning & Economic Development
Town of Norton, MA
508-285-0279 | pdigiuseppe at nortonmaus.com<mailto:pdigiuseppe at nortonmaus.com>
774-265-3208 Cell

DPED webpage: .nortonma.org/planning-economic-development<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nortonma.org_planning-2Deconomic-2Ddevelopment&d=DwMFAg&c=Xhn9KFvv0VrhnMFbYtQjTGdTU13Xl3cIMh34YNGAA48&r=Jf63VrnZIRUul129mOwe76j86yYLRoydSjobUGhLmKM&m=hont5VqZ25gU7vxitgtYKfVyKlEjClaeLU8BG-7Kzz0&s=Yx-5PJB19W2S74QTGquAH_1L00H5tKwgUF-uFxhxfsk&e=>
Like us on Facebook !<https://www.facebook.com/Townofnortonplanningandzoning/?notif_id=1548262165626378&notif_t=page_admin>