[Massplanners] ANRs and Illusory Frontage

Carolyn Britt cjbritt at comcast.net
Wed Jul 17 11:18:32 EDT 2024

All,

When I worked with the Rockport Planning Board there was the provision
in the zoning that indicated that access to a lot had to be off the
frontage. While some applicants were able to get around this, it
generally held. Rockport had the issue  not only of wetlands but also of
large rock outcroppings that could limit access.

While there, I prepared and the Planning Board adopted regulations
regarding how to determine the adequacy of a an existing way to provide
frontage. Again, ways were often constricted by boulders (it is not
called Rockport for nothin'). We allowed that generally visible
pull-offs could provide some relief to the constriction. The leniency
was found generally on ways with few homes that accessed the hill area
of the Town.

The Planning Board worked closely with the Fire Dept. and the State Fire
Marshall on developing these regulations.

Carolyn Britt

Carolyn Britt, AICP

1 Shagbark Woods

Ipswich, MA 01938