[Massplanners] Friday Afternoon Q - HUD/Mortgage required zoning verifications?

Alicia Hunt ahunt at medford-ma.gov
Fri Feb 16 14:22:17 EST 2024

Hi,

I’m wondering how other communities handle these requests. I’ve seen these requests from other lenders, in this case we’re being told that HUD is requiring this information:

Zoning Information Request -

I am requesting zoning verification (what is the property zoned, can the property be rebuilt as is if destroyed, is the property legally conforming/legally non-conforming.)

*Please confirm any zoning violations or maps available*

**This information is URGENTLY needed and REQUIRED by HUD.**

As the City Planner I refer these to the Building Commissioner because he is the zoning officer in Medford.
The Building Commissioner doesn’t like to respond, but points out the request can submit a FOIA request for the file, but that several of the answers are much more complex than the lender realizes, and would take significant effort to answer.  Some of them may also be conditional.

I also note that some of the answers are actually meaningless to the lender.  “what is the property zoned” for example: how would they know what Commercial or Single-Family 2 means in our community, without a thorough review of our zoning? Even whether or not it can be rebuilt in the event of a fire is “yes, under certain conditions”

How is this handled elsewhere? Does anyone know what happens if they just don’t get an answer?  Can they not refinance? Does it make their rates go up?

Thanks,
Alicia

Alicia L Hunt
Director of Planning, Development & Sustainability
City of Medford

She/her

City Hall, Room 308
85 George P. Hassett Dr.
Medford, MA 02155
Ahunt at medford-ma.gov<mailto:Ahunt at medford-ma.gov>
(w) 781-393-2480

http://www.medfordma.org/planning/
http://gogreenmedford.org/
Twitter: @GoGreenMedford
https://www.facebook.com/GoGreenMedford

Please note: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts considers most electronic communications to and from public employees to be public records and disclosable under the Massachusetts Public Records Law and its regulations. *Please consider the environment before printing this email.*