[Massplanners] Town Planner Enforcement Authority

Laura Harbottle lauraharbottle at comcast.net
Fri May 19 10:03:52 EDT 2023

Matthew,
I believe you need provisions in your Town’s bylaws to allow a Director of Community Development or anyone other than the positions named in State law to stop work on a project.

The Town of Andover had language in their Subdivision Rules and Regulations that allowed the Planning Director to stop work for noncompliance during the subdivision process, which must have been adopted by the Planning Board. You might want to check with their current planning staff on how it’s being used.
Regards,
Laura

Laura Harbottle AICP
Interim Town Planner