[Massplanners] Town Planner Enforcement Authority

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Fri May 19 10:11:42 EDT 2023

Matthew,
Our primary leverage to enforce conditions of subdivision approval is the issuance of building permits or the security held for the completion of the subdivision.  If the problem is caused by the person charged with issuing building permits (and the permits are being issued before required conditions are met), MGL c41, Section 81Y spells out in paragraph 2 that building permits shall be issued with regard to any conditions on the recorded plan.  Paragraph 4 allows the planning board or ten residents, to petition superior court to review any action of any board or officer in disregard of the provisions of Section 81Y.

Good luck.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.