[Massplanners] Resources / Successful Examples on Addressing Microaggressions/Racist Language in Public Meetings

Brandt, Christian CBrandt at mapc.org
Wed Mar 29 11:41:15 EDT 2023

Hi Corrin,

I’m sorry to hear about this as well.  I am similarly glad that you are sharing this with the listserv – it’s an experience that many of us are likely familiar with but which we all can get better at responding to.

I was going to share our group agreements guide as well, so thank you to Maureen for sharing that.  You may also find some helpful information about responding to this (and of course setting up your DEI committee – exciting to hear that!) at the MA DEI Coalition’s website: https://www.mapc.org/resource-library/ma-municipal-dei-coalition/.  The Coalition is open to folks across the state, including future members of your Committee.

MAPC and the Community Engagement Department has facilitated several conversations like this with committee members.  I’d be happy to touch base with you about this if that would be helpful (or connect you with staff at MAPC who have also had these conversations).

One suggestion I might make (without knowing very much about what you’re planning to do or what the committee is like) is to have a conversation (one-on-one, or with you and the chair) with the individual first explaining the issue and what your follow up will be.  That has been an approach we have used in these conversations and has helped to ensure that the individual has the time/space to digest and learn.

All the best,

Christian Brandt, AICP
Interim Community Engagement Director
Metropolitan Area Planning Council