[Massplanners] serving on multiple Town Boards, including ZBA

ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com
Sat Jul 8 12:05:27 EDT 2023

Chris:

I’ve served on my local planning board for 27 years, and during the last 12 also on the ZBA (now it’s chair). That arrangement has worked well as I act as liaison between two boards that all-to-often are oblivious to actions of the other. There are seldom cases that come before both boards. But, in one recent one involving a special permit by the planning board followed by a variance from the ZBA, I abstained from the planning board vote because I felt it was cleaner and knowing I had to vote at the ZBA (3/3 required to act on a variance).

In the case of an appeal of a planning board decision, I’m seeing, in 40A:17 and 41:81BB, appeal routes to superior or land court, not the ZBA.

Best regards,

Jeff Lacy

Rural Planning Associates

(413) 230-9693