[Massplanners] Driveway or Street

Michelle Tyler mtyler at randolph-ma.gov
Tue Jan 17 10:26:38 EST 2023

Seeking the varied opinions of colleagues so that I can decide to pursue or
ignore a development question.

A multi-acre parcel has conforming frontage on a public way.  The parcel is
being developed as mixed use with a commercial building and a variety of
housing types. The entire property is developed under a zoning overlay and
has a master condominium deed affecting all of the structures.  There are
two "access ways" running through the complex.  I call them "access ways"
because there was no subdivision of land and the "access ways" do not
provide frontage for the housing units - therefore they aren't  "streets";
there is one parcel of land only.

The developer has "named" these access ways as streets and now has deeds
with the name on them.  As such, building permits are also being granted
for these properties with the name assigned by the developer.  The assessor
is being asked to assign records to these named access ways.

In your condominium complexes, are the access ways named as STREETS? If so,
was the land subdivided?  If so, how does your GIS team/assessor reconcile
data with the state GIS (parcel polygon vs. assessor data)?

I'm feeling that there is about to be a large disconnect in our records and
wondering if I'm accurate with my concern.  Looking forward to the
experiences and knowledge of this group to chime in.
*Michelle R. Tyler*
*Director of Planning*
*Town of Randolph*
*781-961-0936*
*Please be advised that the Massachusetts Secretary of State considers
e-mail to be a public record, and therefore subject to the Massachusetts
Public Records Law, M.G.L. c. 66 § 10.*