[Massplanners] Battery Energy Storage Systems

Alison Manugian amanugian at dracutma.gov
Thu Apr 27 16:07:44 EDT 2023

Dracut is in the process of using much of the Medway example.  We have major transmission lines through a section of town and are getting a lot of calls from developers interested in installing these systems.  So far our stock reply has been that it's not in our use table so it's prohibited, but as Carolyn points out, that bars us from having a new tool to help balance demand/use.

My personal background was in a community in north central mass where there were clear cutting projects to make way for large solar farms.  Often the trees were cut in advance of permitting the solar.  This type of language (which we toned back on advice of counsel) helps clarify expectations and hopefully can prevent some of this type of behavior!

Thank you,
Alison

Alison Manugian
Community Development Director