[Massplanners] Unaccepted Streets

Barbara Carboni bcarboni at truro-ma.gov
Thu Apr 20 10:41:20 EDT 2023

Hi Molly,

Truro's General Bylaws contain a provision "Public Safety Clearing Guidelines" to ensure emergency access on private ways; I've pasted in below.  I don't know if there is a regular schedule of inspection to determine compliance but can find that out from DPW if useful.

Barbara

1-9-13 Public Safety Clearing.

In order to provide safe passage for safety and emergency vehicles and personnel the following standards/requirements for the clearing of vegetation of private ways ("roadways") and driveways in excess of fifty (50) feet in length, shall be met:

1-9-13-1 The traveled way of any roadway or driveway shall be no less than eight (8) feet wide.
1-9-13-2 The combined traveled way and clearance of any obstacles including vegetation shall be no less than fourteen (14) feet. 1-9-13-3 Height clearance shall be no less than fourteen (14) feet from the road surface.
1-9-13-4 If boundaries do not allow full compliance with 1-9-13-1 and 1-9-13-2, then the required width shall be reduced to the full width the current physical boundaries allow.
1-9-13-5 Compliance Required, Violations and Penalties: Every roadway and driveway in excess of fifty (50) feet shall be in compliance with these requirements within one (1) year of the date of adoption, May 2, 2014. Those roadways and driveways not in compliance shall be subject to a penalty as described in Appendix A of these general bylaws

Barbara Carboni  AICP
Truro Town Planner and Land Use Counsel
(508) 214 0928