[Massplanners] Returning to ZBA after an initial denial

Jamie Webb jwebb at easthamptonma.gov
Tue Sep 6 14:54:27 EDT 2022

Easthampton's ZBA & PB are very lenient in allowing applicants to withdraw
their applications if it is looking to be denied. If the board allows an
application to be withdrawn without prejudice then it can be resubmitted.
In cases where the application has been denied or withdrawn with prejudice,
the applicant needs to wait 2 years or needs to make substantive changes to
the application to be eligible to reapply.

If no changes were made to the application and it is still within the 2
year window, then we would follow MGL 40a Section 16:

No appeal, application or petition which has been unfavorably and finally
acted upon by the special permit granting or permit granting authority
shall be acted favorably upon within two years after the date of final
unfavorable action unless said special permit granting authority or permit
granting authority finds, by a unanimous vote of a board of three members
or by a vote of four members of a board of five members or two-thirds vote
of a board of more than five members, specific and material changes in the
conditions upon which the previous unfavorable action was based, and
describes such changes in the record of its proceedings, and unless all but
one of the members of the planning board consents thereto and after notice
is given to parties in interest of the time and place of the proceedings
when the question of such consent will be considered.

Jamie Webb
Assistant Planner
City of Easthampton - Planning Department
50 Payson Avenue, Easthampton, MA 01027
413.529.1405  /  Website <https://easthamptonma.gov/176/Planning>  /
Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Easthampton-Planning-Department-380076865424358>
*Please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State considers e-mail
to be a public record subject to the provisions of the MA Public Records
Law, MGL ch. 66. *