[Massplanners] Returning to ZBA after an initial denial

Evan Sears esears at cobma.us
Tue Sep 6 12:32:02 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I'm hoping to gain some insight into how other cities handle return
applications to the ZBA after the initial application was denied.

Brockton currently requires applicants with proposals denied by the ZBA to
go before the Planning Board, with a revised proposal, seeking permission
to return to the ZBA with said revised proposal. The PB then votes on
whether they believe the applicant has altered the elements of the proposal
cited in the ZBA's decision as the basis for denial enough to go before the
ZBA a second time.

This is a formal process requiring a full, separate application, filing
fee, certified abutter notifications, and placement on the agenda of a
Planning Board meeting.

This process, and the subsequent decisions, has been causing some
controversy and contention recently so we're looking to compare our process
to other cities in the Commonwealth.

So I ask, what process, if any, must your applicants go through in order to
return to the ZBA for a second chance at an initially denied proposal?

Thanks!

Evan

--

*Evan Sears*