[Massplanners] ANR v. Subdivision Modification

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Tue Sep 6 09:39:31 EDT 2022

Hi Darlene,
We treat ANR plans with frontage on subdivisions that have not yet been completed the same as any other ANR plan because they show frontage on one of the types of ways listed under the definition of subdivision in 81-L.

Back when I worked in Beverly, there was a case where the PB unknowingly endorsed an ANR splitting one lot into two, but then realized there was a note on the original subdivision plan (oops) limiting the number of lots in the subdivision to five “unless a new plan is submitted to the Beverly Planning board which meets their full standards and approval.”.  The building inspector refused to issue a building permit for the lot created by ANR plan due to the subdivision note.  The courts ruled that ANR endorsement was “ministerial” in nature and therefore, the ANR endorsement didn’t override the note on the subdivision plan; therefore, the owner was not allowed to build on the newly created lot.  Hamilton, 35 Mass. App. Ct. at 386 (1993).

I think if we got a “do over”  we still would have to endorse the ANR plan creating the extra lot because it met the definition under 81-L.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.