[Massplanners] Planning Board "determination" and decision

Molly Belanger mbelanger at lexingtonma.gov
Mon Nov 21 09:04:43 EST 2022

Hi Betsy,

Lexington has a sketch plan review process, where a very preliminary plan is submitted for feedback during a public meeting. There is no public notice or legal ad. The Planning Board gives non-binding feedback and we create a “meeting summary” instead of a decision. The meeting summary looks more like our staff memos to the Planning Board, but with comments from the public and Planning Board members added to the end, rather than an official decision. It’s very informal, and the comments listed in the meeting summary are just suggestions. The applicant doesn’t need to take the suggestions, and the Planning Board members can also change their minds later on when the formal review occurs. We also include a blanket statement in the summary, stating that it is not a decision, and it does not promise approval of plans. We find that projects that go through this process are better prepared for their official submittal. We also encourage applicants to inform abutters that this public meeting is taking place and it seems that they usually do as we get abutters attending these meetings. If not, then abutters will still be noticed for the definitive plan anyway.

Thanks,
Molly

Molly Belanger
Planner, Town of Lexington