[Massplanners] Incomplete applications

Bob Mitchell mitchellfaicp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:33:02 EST 2022

Following up on the mini-email thread regarding incomplete applications
located within the larger email thread about electronic filing, note the
following language in Chapter 40A, Section 9 for special permits.

*Each application for a special permit shall be filed by the petitioner
with the city or town clerk and a copy of said application, including the
date and time of filing certified by the city or town clerk, shall be filed
forthwith by the petitioner with the special permit granting authority. **The
special permit granting authority shall hold a public hearing**, for which
notice has been given as provided in section eleven, on any application for
a special permit **within sixty-five days from the date of filing of such
application *(emphasis added).

The clock starts when the application is filed with, and stamped by, the
city or town clerk. There is no statutory authority for a board or staff tp
prevent the clock from starting, or to stop the clock after it has started,
with one exception. That exception allows the board, with the permission of
the applicant, in a written agreement, to delay either the opening of the
hearing or the time for making and filing of the decision.

If there is an application with insufficient information or lacking
required plans etc., the board should open the hearing within the
required timeline, provide a list of the deficiencies (preferably provide
that before the hearing) and then continue the hearing with enough time for
the applicant to get the plans done and submitted with enough time for
municipal staff to review them before the continued hearing. If the
applicant continues to fail to provide plans and information, the board can
simply deny the application for failure to provide information required
with the application submission. Similar to what
Michael Z. posted, my experience is that once the board starts using the
word "denial" it provides an incentive to the applicant to get the plans
done quickly.

Failure to open the hearing within the required timeline, and failure to
make and file a decision within the required timeline leaves the town
vulnerable to a constructive grant claim which could result in the project
being built with no board review.Towns have made this mistake in the past.
You don't want your town to make that same mistake.

On a different note - Happy weekend and Thanksgiving week to all!

Bob

Bob Mitchell FAICP
Planning Consultant
Land Use, Planning, Zoning, & Training Programs
151 Tremont Street Suite 23A
Boston, MA 02111
617-512-9751 (c)
MitchellFAICP at gmail.com