[Massplanners] One lot subdivision?

Paige paigeplanner at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:05:12 EDT 2022

Thank you for the comments so far. More ...

The ZBA denied a frontage variance back in the 80s or 90s. The PB isn't
opposed to this single lot subdivision just because it's a single lot and
the property owner is a long time resident who has paid taxes on the
property for decades.  The PB approves subdivision waivers more than I'd
like but they do it somewhat regularly, usually for developers and not
actual residents. They've approved numerous "one lot subdivisions" in the
past for developers.  This one is an actual resident seeking to live in the
neighborhood after years of owning the lot.   The Board WANTS to approve
this one.I am not seeking ways to kill it or worried about the driveway,
etc.

Trust me, for years I've told my PB I don't like the waivers and I always
tell them to call the developer's bluff but they don't. This is not a case
of a developer seeking to create a new lot (not that it matters factually
but we all know it sometimes does matter).  But now a local attorney
representing a neighbor is claiming there is no such thing as a ONE LOT
subdivision.  He informed the PB they cannot approve this plan.  Period.
He says it's not a subdivision. He hasn't provided case law but rather just
what he wrote below:

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
I would love to hear your thoughts about the ONE LOT SUBDIVISION CLAIM.
Does the fact that the subdivision roadway only serves one lot preclude it
from being a subdivision?  I feel like I used to know this ....

Thanks again.

~Paige, Planning Director
  Town of Foxborough

https://foxboroughma.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=15207864&pageId=15413013 (42