[Massplanners] One lot subdivision?

Paige paigeplanner at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:30:04 EDT 2022

All,

We have a single lot with insufficient frontage but plenty of lot area.
The applicant has filed a definitive subdivision plan showing a cul-de-sac
into this lot to provide the requisite frontage.  With this application
they are seeking a waiver of most construction standards.  Instead of a
road, they will build a glorified driveway.  The "road" (driveway) will
have a hammerhead turnaround built to allow emergency vehicles to turn
around.

The plans, if interested, can be seen here:
https://foxboroughma.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=15207864&pageId=15413013

Public safety is fine with the proposed construction of the road
(driveway).  The Planning Board is inclined to approve the subdivision with
waivers since the Town does not want to take on responsibility for the
fully built cul-de-sac that could be built to serve one house lot.

The neighbors attorney is stating that the project can't be a subdivision
by definition because the road would serve only one lot.  Although the road
layout itself would become a lot (or parcel actually). He insists
subdivisions can't be one lot.

I plan to inquire with our town attorney but thought I'd also ask my fellow
planners.  I remember years ago being more up-to-date on all of this one
lot subdivision issue but now I feel like I remember tidbits.  Just enough
not to be helpful!

Any input on this strategy?  Laying out a subdivision roadway layout and
then waiving construction.  To serve one buildable lot.

Is this dead in the water as the neighbors attorney claims?  What do you
all remember about this stuff?

Thank you in advance!!!

~Paige Duncan, Planning Director
  Town of Foxborough, MA

--

Paige E. Duncan, AICP, Planning Director

pduncan at foxboroughma.gov