[Massplanners] Public Hearing continuations - time required??

Paige paigeplanner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:47:50 EDT 2022

Hello fellow planners,

I was watching a PB meeting for another town the other night and they
continued a public hearing to their next meeting date. They did mention the
date but did not include a time.  Basically it was just a continuation to
say "continued to July 1st" without any reference to what time
on July 1st.  That said, it is known the PB meetings start at 7 pm but
isn't a time required when continuing a special permit public hearing?  I
always thought a continuation had to have a "date and time certain".

I checked their weekly agendas and times are assigned to each public
hearing (this isn't a board that puts all hearings at say 7 pm and just
runs them in order.  Each one clearly has a time on the agenda).

I've done some googling and looked at Kenrick v Board of Appeals of
Wakefield and MAUREEN J. TEBO & others [Note 1] vs. BOARD OF APPEALS OF
SHREWSBURY & others.  Neither directly addresses the date and TIME certain
I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of any reference to this particular nuance?  Can a PB just
continue a hearing to a meeting date without a specific time?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

~Paige Duncan, Foxborough

--

Paige E. Duncan, AICP, Director of Land Use and Economic Development

pduncan at foxboroughma.gov