[Massplanners] FBC in Massachusetts

Furtado, Jacqueline (SEA) jacqueline.furtado at state.ma.us
Wed Jun 1 16:22:43 EDT 2022

Hi Chris,

I had the same question when I was studying for the AICP exam last year. In addition to the municipalities you already listed, I found the following:

Southfield, Massachusetts
Adopted under a Special Act of the Legislature to guide redevelopment of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station, the South Shore Tri-Town Development Corporation has adopted form-based codes (FBCs) to work in conjunction with its zoning and land-use bylaws to convert the base into a brand new $1 billion community of nearly 3,000 homes, 2 million square feet of commercial space, a golf course and other amenities, and open space.

Along with Lowell, Southfield is used as a case study on the mass.gov website found here: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/case-studies-form-based-codes

Regards,
Jacquie

Jacqueline Furtado, AICP
Senior Program Manager, MassWorks Infrastructure Program
Executive Office of Housing & Economic Development
One Ashburton Place, Suite 2101 | Boston, MA 02108
O: (617) 788-3649 | C: (617) 894-7755 | Email: jacqueline.furtado at mass.gov<mailto:jacqueline.furtado at mass.gov>