[Massplanners] The United States and Climate Change

Carolyn Britt cbritt at communityinvestment.net
Wed Jul 20 14:12:25 EDT 2022

Thank you for sending this to us all.

I find it easier as a Planning Board member than as a planner to address
issues about planning for a climate emergency. I am also Vice Chair of
our local Climate Resiliency Committee, which has been successful in
moving the town toward a Zero Carbon Resolution by 2040. The Planning
Board in Ipswich has added provisions to our SP regulations and SPR
requirements to present feasibility information on solar installations
on site, have required EV hook-ups, and have encouraged every applicant
for SP and SPR to consider fully electric buildings. We are having some
success here. Having an active Electric Light Department helps. Perhaps
it is easier also when the roads to both our beaches regularly flood at
king tides.

If the content of this listserve is any indicator, the "planning
community" has taken no position on the proposed changes to the building
code (including a "net zero stretch code"), nor taken a position on or
discussion of the energy bill currently in the final stages of its
legislative consideration (or death throes?). This bill includes the
option for only 10 communities to proceed to prohibiting fossil fuel
hook-ups in new construction and major rehabilitation projects. The 10
communities are those that have already passed home rule petitions on
the matter.  Builders and developers have been actively working against
it, seeing even 10 communities as a big problem. Those aware of the deep
hole we are in originally pushed for a fully net zero building code that
was required for all.

Please let me know if I am incorrect on the lack of planner involvement.
I would also like to know what position other planners have been taking
on the matters. I have participated as an advocate, and not as a
professional planner.

I, like Mark and Christopher, look forward to a thought-provoking and
lively discussion of the role of planners in reducing GHG emissions. I
look forward to your considered replies.

Carolyn Britt, AICP

Ipswich Planning Board

PO Box 235, Ipswich MA 01938

978-356-9881