[Massplanners] Reorganization - Rotating the Chairperson

Carolyn Britt cbritt at communityinvestment.net
Tue Feb 15 20:05:24 EST 2022

Having been a professional planner and now serving as Chair of our
Planning Board in Ipswich, I find that being Chair takes a great deal of
time. Perhaps it is because I am also providing some technical
background (although our Planner does a good job of this), I feel it
necessary to show up as Chair being up to speed on all the projects on
the agenda. I probably spend 2 full days preparing for any one meeting.
Of course, that could be just the demand level in Ipswich (meetings
regularly go to 11 and beyond) Multi-family housing in town is all by
special permit by the planning board.  I have been advocating for an
annual rotation in Chair to lighten the load a bit. It is definitely a
challenge for anyone with a full time job to also chair a planning board.

I hope that gives you some food for thought.

Carolyn Britt, AICP

Chair, Ipswich Planning Board

Ipswich, Massachusetts

978-356-9881