[Massplanners] Split parcel zoning

Seth Jenkins SJenkins at berkshireplanning.org
Wed Apr 20 15:34:16 EDT 2022

Hi Jen,

I am currently working on the Master Plan for West Stockbridge in Berkshire County.  As to split lot parcels, their ordinance states:

	Where a district boundary line divides a lot in single ownership at the time such district is established, the Board of Appeals may permit by special permit the extension of the regulations for either portion of the lot not to exceed 20 feet beyond the district line into the remaining portion of the lot.

AND
	In cases of uncertainty or disagreement concerning the exact locations of a district boundary line or where physical features existing on the ground are at variance with those shown on the Zoning Map or in other circumstances not covered herein, the district boundary shall be determined by the Board of Appeals.

I don't think the issue has come up very often, but there is recognition that the language is not crystal clear and should be clarified.

Hope that helps,

Seth Jenkins
Community Planner
Berkshire Regional Planning Commission