[Massplanners] Skinny frontage

Darlene Wynne dwynne at beverlyma.gov
Thu Sep 9 10:03:17 EDT 2021

Hi Jeff,
I'm not sure I've seen this exact case. If the way does not meet adequate
access standards for the entire length of the required frontage, in Beverly
we require a Waiver of Frontage and Definitive Subdivision application
(which is essentially an abridged Subdivision application). We've done this
many times where a lot is added at the end of an existing street and the
owner (and City) does not want to pave a new full width road for the entire
frontage width.

We possibly had a similar application through an ANR.  The crux here though
was which line was actually the edge of the way upon which to measure
frontage, because the way on paper was the result of a number of skinny
pork chops (when we allowed them), with each lot having a portion of the
way. The Board's endorsement was appealed, was remanded to the Planning
Board, and the endorsement annulled. Mead v. Beverly Planning Board CIVIL
ACTION NO. 18 MISC. 000698

Darlene Wynne, AICP

*City of Beverly*

*Director of Planning & Community Development*

*978-605-2341*

*dwynne at beverlyma.gov <dwynne at beverlyma.gov>*

*--*

*When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State
has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be
kept confidential. *