[Massplanners] Marina/Restaurant Parking: Transient Slips vs. Street Vehicles

Jon Goddard jgoddard at southwickma.net
Wed Oct 13 17:10:41 EDT 2021

Good afternoon, MassPlanners,

In Southwick, we're soon to be considering permit applications for a restaurant & marina redevelopment project on the Congamond Lakes.  The site is quite constrained from a dimensional standpoint, and the developer approached the Town with a "creative" way of looking at how transient boat slips might offset conventional parking usage during those peak summer months when the restaurant use is likely to be at its busiest - alongside that of the Lakes.  You can imagine that the Town's bylaws come nowhere near this concept but do grant the applicant some limited leeway if providing justification from "acceptable industry sources."

Accordingly, the Planning Board has requested that I conduct some research - who better to ask than this group?  I'm all ears for opinions, observations, or references, even for insight into the off-street parking impacts of leased (non-transient) boat slips for recreational use.

Thanks in advance,
Jon Goddard
Town Planner | Stormwater Coordinator
Town of Southwick