[Massplanners] Update on MBTA Communities Multi-Family Zoning

Kluchman, Chris (OCD) chris.kluchman at state.ma.us
Wed Nov 24 15:06:22 EST 2021

Good afternoon,

On behalf of the Baker-Polito Administration, I want to offer an update on the new multifamily zoning requirement for MBTA communities, as outlined under new Section 3A of the Zoning Act. Passed into law under the 2021 economic development bill, new section 3A of chapter 40A requires MBTA communities to have a zoning ordinance or by-law that provides for at least 1 district of reasonable size in which multi-family housing is permitted as of right. The law also provides that the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), in consultation with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, must promulgate guidelines to determine if an MBTA community is in compliance with this section.

We expect that the draft guidelines will be available for review and public comment by mid-December. We intend to conduct a robust engagement process in early 2022 so that we can gather input and feedback from interested parties, including MBTA communities, developers, planners, and other interested stakeholders.  The draft guidelines may be modified as appropriate based on this additional public input.

We appreciate the input we've received from various stakeholders to date and we look forward to continuing this dialogue. The release in mid-December will include draft compliance criteria, guidance relative to the upcoming Community One Stop for Growth<https://www.mass.gov/guides/community-one-stop-for-growth> application process, and other supplemental information. In the interim, please visit our preliminary guidance<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/housing-choice-and-mbta-communities-legislation#preliminary-guidance-for-mbta-communities-> for additional background on the law.

I want to thank this group for your contributions earlier this year as part of the stakeholder process. We look forward to building on those conversations next month.

Respectfully,

Chris
Chris Kluchman, FAICP
Deputy Director, Community Services Division
Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
100 Cambridge Street, Suite 300
Boston, MA  02114
chris.kluchman at mass.gov<mailto:chris.kluchman at mass.gov>

Please note:  DHCD staff are working remotely, I check email frequently and will respond as soon as possible.