[Massplanners] Granite Curb vs. Bituminous

robert leavens rtleavemware at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:44:05 EST 2021

Katrina,
Dracut's policy is vertical granite curbing.  The Engineering dept.
believes that there is nothing better.
While developers (and the town) have to pay more to construct a roadway
(curbing is the biggest expense), it's there to stay with vertical granite.
Vertical granite is a safer situation for pedestrians, as it's harder for a
vehicle to jump the curb.
I have worked in other communities that have allowed bitumenous curbing and
it's toast after two winters. Concrete is a no-go......it just doesn't last
in harsh, New England winters.
To date, there has been no objection to vertical granite, but it needs to
be used by the DPW of Dracut as well.  The town has to abide by the town's
subdivision roadway standards.

I hope this helps.  I believe the Dracut subdivision rules and regulations
are on line.  We just totally revamped them in 2020 so they've been well
vetted and should work well.

Best to you for the holiday season and good luck with this issue in
Middleton.

Betsy Ware
Planning Consultant (and former Community Development Director in Dracut)