[Massplanners] Fwd: Granite Curb vs. Bituminous

Jeffrey Robert Levine jrlevine at mit.edu
Sun Nov 28 16:39:07 EST 2021

I find that most (if not all) New England communities use granite as the baseline. I’ve seen some asphalt allowed but it doesn’t last. Every place I’ve worked around here has had granite curbing as part of their roadway standards.

In the Midwest, my experience was they used concrete curbing. I think that’s because granite is harder to get there (same reason the farmland there is better, you don’t find rock potatoes everywhere…) The concrete works fine for winter conditions if installed correctly, but I’m not sure it’s any cheaper here, and granite lasts longer.

Jeff

Jeff Levine, AICP (he/him)

Lecturer in Housing, Community & Economic Development
Department of Urban Studies & Planning
Room 9-511
jrlevine at mit.edu<mailto:jrlevine at mit.edu>
Personal Zoom Room: https://mit.zoom.us/my/jeff.levine