[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] Housing Production vs. School Enrollment

Michael McCarthy Michael.McCarthy at newbedford-ma.gov
Mon Jun 7 12:47:27 EDT 2021

Hello Leeann,

My former colleagues at UMass Dartmouth analyzed this in 2019. They looked into a few common opposition arguments related to housing development. Their big takeaway on school capacity was: "The results indicate that school capacity does not have a statistically significant impact on whether towns permit new housing. In fact, the relationship is in the opposite direction-towns with school capacity tend to permit less housing. So, while municipal officials may argue that school costs prevent them from permitting new housing, cities and towns that tend not to permit new housing are just as likely as other towns, if not more so, to have extra space available in their schools."
There's a summary of their work in this issue of MassBenchmarks (pg. 23 of the PDF): https://donahue.umass.edu/documents/MB_072919_low-re.pdf.

MAPC also did a research brief on this topic in 2017: https://www.mapc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/MAPC_HousingEnrollment_Final.pdf that found there is no "meaningful correlation" between housing production and enrollment growth.

While I hate to get bogged down in statistical analyses, both of these prove what I think a lot of us know in our guts: not every new unit will be filled by a family with a school-age child AND the addition of one or two children per grade has a marginal impact on schools that have already built the classroom, and purchased the bus and the desk.

Good luck!

Mike McCarthy
Staff Planner
New Bedford