[Massplanners] [**EXT**] Housing Production vs. School Enrollment

Eric Salerno esalerno at tyngsboroughma.gov
Mon Jun 7 12:33:14 EDT 2021

Good afternoon,

This is something we all combat, so I try and make an effort to save
reports and data that help shed some light on the financial realities of
housing. I'm glad I caught this question since I recalled there was a
presentation on this at the Housing Institute from folks at the
UMass Dartmouth Public Policy Center, two years ago, but at the time, it
wasn't complete. A quick search for the title turned up the final report -
please see Page 21 in the MassBenchmarks Journal 2019 volume 21 Issue 1
<https://donahue.umass.edu/documents/MB_072919_low-re.pdf>: *The Fiscal
Impact of New Housing Production in Massachusetts*. (I haven't had time to
read it in detail yet, but I am sure it supports the 2017 report that you
already mentioned, since they reference it... printing out a copy for
myself now, actually.)

I have also seen communities that have requested anonymous student data
from the school district and manually correlated it with assessor's data to
illustrate what types of housing (# of bedrooms) students live in - to
prove the point that higher density, mainly 2 bedroom units do not impact
school enrollment much, if at all.

Lastly, I want to note that I was truly taken aback in a relatively recent
meeting when it became clear that the opponents to housing have no
functional understanding of how the school budget works, and as such, have
a completely unfounded and inaccurate perception of what the incremental
cost of additional students are. I completely overestimated the public's
understanding of what "per student/per pupil costs" represent. A topic that
might help with some educational outreach if that's also the case in
Middleborough.

Good luck with the project.
-Eric

Eric Salerno
Town Planner/Dir. Eco. Dev't.
Town Hall, 25 Bryant Ln.
Tyngsborough, MA 01879
Direct: 978-743-5361

*If you have received this message in error, please contact by return email
or via phone at (978) 649-2300, and delete the copy you received. Thank
you.*

*In Massachusetts, the term "public record" is broadly defined to include
all documentary materials or data created or received by any officer or
employee of any governmental unit, regardless of physical form or
characteristics, unless it falls under one of the statutory exemptions to
the Public Records Law. G.L.c. 4, 7(26). Consequently, email is subject to
the disclosure, retention, and maintenance provisions as required by law.
G.L.c. 66*