[Massplanners] Open Meeting Law & Remote Participation

George Proakis george at fenmore.com
Fri Dec 10 10:23:48 EST 2021

I don’t think there’s anything precluding hybrid meetings, now or in the future. So, if the technology is set up right, members of the public can participate remote. And, yes the old rule allowed one and only one board member to be remote.

But:
a.  having more than one board member remote; or
b.  limiting public in-person access and allowing the public to ONLY participate through a remote method
is only allowed because of the legislature’s June vote to extend covid protections until April 2022.

My expectation is that the legislature will create a bill to allow some longer-term flexibility, but this is the MA legislature we are talking about here, so chances are that they will pass the bill sometime around midnight on the day that the current one expires.  (remember, in June they actually passed the extension one day AFTER the previous one had expired, and my community needed to cancel a remote budget hearing scheduled for one night in June because of that).

-George Proakis
Somerville, MA