[Massplanners] Skinny frontage

Douglas Finn dfinn at edgartown-ma.us
Wed Aug 25 09:52:27 EDT 2021

Deerfield, MA Zoning has a great section on this:

"Lot width shall be measured by a line drawn between all non-intersecting
lot lines, and having a minimum distance as specified... for the zoning
district. All lines projected for purposes of measuring minimum lot width
shall be drawn perpendicular to the property line of origin. In cases of
all curved lot lines, minimum lot width shall be measured by a line drawn
perpendicular to a chord drawn from the end points of each curved line
segment (arc) which is tangent to the arc and parallel to the chord, having
a minimum distance designated in this Table 2320 for the zoning district
(see illustrations 34 ). The minimum angle between a front line and any
adjoining lot line shall be 60 degrees. In the case of lots located in more
than one zoning district, the requirements of the more restrictive zoning
districts shall apply to the entire lot.

"Any part of a lot which does not meet the minimum criteria for LOT WIDTH,
shall not be considered toward the calculation of MINIMUM LOT SIZE."

The illustrations are below, and help to explain the language:

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
I've never seen anything quite as comprehensive as this elsewhere (although
I'm sure it exists elsewhere), and I absolutely LOVE it.  It eliminates the
type of thing you're describing, and virtually eliminates "flag lots" as
options in town (one purpose for this regulation).

Link here:  https://ecode360.com/attachment/DE0989/DE0989-ZONING.pdf

- Doug.

Douglas Finn, Administrative Assistant
Edgartown Planning Board