[Massplanners] (no subject)

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:27:50 EDT 2024

Alex

The Zoning Act does not give us a mandatory path for preliminary staff review. In Dennis, while I was there, we encouraged everyone to go through Staff Review. It provided a free process to address technical project issues before getting to a Board. They could go through this as many times as they wanted to address the issues before filing, i.e. free plan revisions. When they filed, the application process allowed for one free plan revision. Subsequent revisions cost 50% of the original filing cost to address the demands on staff time. Once, on a Site Plan Review, the Planning Board sought Town Counsel guidance to deny an application that refused to file complete plans. As Site Plan Review projects are generally by-right, we needed to approach this carefully. A lot easier to use the threat of denial on Special Permits to force application compliance.

Daniel Fortier, AICP
Retired Planner