[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] (no subject)

Michael McCarthy Michael.McCarthy at newbedford-ma.gov
Tue May 14 15:16:16 EDT 2024

Hi Alex,

Whenever a complicated project gets on someone’s radar, we refer them to our interdepartmental pre-permitting review. These are informal virtual meetings that bring Planning, Public Infrastructure, Legal, Building, Conservation, and Traffic staff together to do a short (30 mins max) review of a proposal and offer feedback on requirements and likely permitting needed. We hold Friday mornings for these and our Building Department admin does the scheduling. Planning provides notes, links to applications, and contact info for follow up after meeting.

Specifically for Planning and Zoning Board, we strongly encourage applicants to submit digital applications ahead of the deadline for review. Our meetings are once monthly and everything is clearly posted in City Hall and online regarding deadlines and procedures for submitting. We have very clear standards and checklists in our applications and staff do a thorough review before accepting. We make sure applicants know that we developed these requirements to make sure an “approved site plan” can move seamlessly through all other permitting so early compliance with the Planning Board’s standards is in their best interest. For instance, our site plan review application checklist<https://newbedford-ma.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/20230615111345/2021_Site-Plan-Review_APPLICATION-FORM_FILLABLE-2-1.pdf> was devised in consultation with our Solicitor’s Office, Engineering Division, and Building Commissioner.

If someone shows up unannounced to submit on deadline day, we do the review at the counter and will not hesitate to reject an incomplete application packet. Alternatively, if something gets through the cracks, the Planning Board is very good about continuing an application until they have the satisfactory material to review.

Mike McCarthy
Asst. City Planner
City of New Bedford