[Massplanners] Building in two towns?

Maria De La Fuente mdelafuente at medfield.net
Mon May 13 16:32:08 EDT 2024

Hi everyone,

Have you ever permitted a house/structure that is between two Town
boundaries? These are two abutting lots, the one on the other Town
is oversized by that Town's regs, the one in Medfield is undersized by
ours. I thought that under the zoning doctrine, these two lots would merge,
regardless of the Town boundaries. Is this true?

Additionally, our bylaws state that only land in Medfield will be taken
into account for zoning conformity, therefore the undersized lot in
Medfield is unbuildable and to build on it would require a variance--- but
maybe not if these two lots were to merge under the zoning doctrine?

The applicant wants to build right through the Town line and I'm not sure
how to approach this case.

Has anyone worked through a similar situation?
Thanks!
Maria De La Fuente
Medfield Director of Land Use and Planning
459 Main Street
Medfield, MA  02052
(508) 906-3027
mdelafuente at medfield.net <sraposa at medfield.net>

--
This email is intended for municipal use only and must comply with the Town
of Medfield's policies and state/federal laws. Under Massachusetts Law, any