[Massplanners] Regulation of Dumpster Screening

Eric Smith esmith at townofathol.org
Tue May 7 15:27:20 EDT 2024

Hello Mass Planners,

A Planning Board member of ours was inquiring about requiring screening around two dumpsters at a particular group home property.   This group home was recently renovated (had been a general boarding house) and didn't trigger a Site Plan Review application before our Planning Board, as that's reserved for new construction.  Plus, the use is an exempted use under MGL Ch. 40A, Sect. 3, thus didn't trigger a Special Permit for multi-family housing units.

We do have screening requirements as part of our site plan review for new construction.  I spoke with our Building Inspector/Zoning Enforcement Officer, and after reviewing our existing zoning bylaws, there's nothing currently in the general zoning provisions that require dumpster screening, outside site plan review.

Thus, I wanted to see if there's any Massachusetts' communities have any general standards either in their zoning or general bylaws that require all dumpsters to be screened.

I look forward in hearing about any such examples we can look into for Athol.

Thank you, Eric

Eric R. Smith, AICP

Director of Planning and Development

Town of Athol