[Massplanners] Weekly update on MBTA Communities zoning

Kluchman, Chris (EOHLC) Chris.Kluchman at mass.gov
Wed May 1 15:38:49 EDT 2024

Good afternoon Massachusetts Planners, advocates and local officials.  I would like to take the opportunity to provide an update about local governments that are approving zoning intended to comply with the MBTA Communities law.  As of today, there are at least 44 such municipalities!!  Only 4 towns have seen zoning measures fail.  EOHLC has a "status table" on our website which is updated every Friday that tracks this information that you can access here<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/multi-family-zoning-requirement-for-mbta-communities#complying-with-section-3a-guidelines-> (scroll down a bit to find that table).

I plan to make a regular posting on MassPlanners to make it easier for folks to understand how many (and which) communities have taken action.

Municipalities that have approved zoning to comply with MBTA Communities law:

  1.  Abington
  2.  Andover
  3.  Arlington
  4.  Bedford
  5.  Braintree
  6.  Bridgewater
  7.  Brookline
  8.  Cambridge
  9.  Chelsea
  10. Concord
  11. Danvers
  12. Dedham
  13. Essex
  14. Everett
  15. Grafton
  16. Harvard
  17. Haverhill
  18. Hingham
  19. Lexington
  20. Lincoln
  21. Lowell
  22. Malden
  23. Medford
  24. Newbury
  25. Newton
  26. Northborough
  27. Northbridge
  28. Norwood
  29. Pembroke
  30. Plymouth
  31. Quincy
  32. Revere
  33. Rockport
  34. Salem
  35. Scituate
  36. Somerville
  37. Stoneham
  38. Taunton
  39. Wareham
  40. Wellesley
  41. Westborough
  42. Westford
  43. Weymouth
  44. Winchester

If your community should be on this list, please let us know at eohlc3A at mass.gov<mailto:eohlc3A at mass.gov>!
Municipalities where zoning for MBTA Communities has not passed.

  1.  Littleton (Town meeting scheduled for 5/6/24)
  2.  Marshfield
  3.  Milton
  4.  Wakefield

Chris Kluchman, FAICP (she/her)
Director, Livable Communities Division
Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities (EOHLC), 100 Cambridge Street, Ste 300
Boston, MA  02114
chris.kluchman at mass.gov

EOHLC staff are mostly working remotely. I check email regularly and will get back to you as soon as possible.