[Massplanners] town-owned mixed-use project with affordable housing

Judy Markland jmarkland at lmstrategies.com
Thu Mar 28 13:05:13 EDT 2024

Whately is considering converting a two-room schoolhouse to provide
several affordable housing units plus a commercial use such as office
spaces to generate some income to support the building.  We would hope
to partner with a housing non-profit to manage the housing units once
they are constructed.

We'd appreciate insights from any town that has experience with owning
and renting residential units, especially those with the complexity of
compliance with  affordability requirements.  With a population of only
1500, our staff is limited and lacks the expertise for this type of
property management.

Many thanks.

Judy Markland

Whately Planning Board