[Massplanners] Structured Parking

G. Von Grossmann gvongrossmann at vongrossmann.com
Wed Mar 6 09:30:21 EST 2024

Good morning,

It's been a few years, but I've worked with parking structures (new and renovation).  Some incorporated artistic elements without being true public art projects.  Some examples:

  *   North Campus UMass Lowell.  Façade is a somewhat abstracted photographic image of ripples on the adjacent Merrimack River, and attempted the added effect of diminishing the bulk of the structure.  The image was accomplished with perforations of varying sizes in the metal panels.
  *   South Campus UMass Lowell - Fennick McCredie Architects, they were great to work with. Also Walker Parking on that team, though the specific staff people are no longer with the firm.
  *   Salem Station's (MBTA) garage incorporated a train-like graphic in pre-cast concrete panels on the façade.  Fennick McCredie for that one, too, and they also did the consolidated rental parking structure at Logan.
  *   Beverly Depot's garage was a cast-in-place concrete garage; hard to construct well but the most durable option.  AECOM was the designer.
I'm also familiar with maintenance and repair on existing garages:  Tufts's Dowling Hall, Alewife Station, Quincy Center Station (now demolished), Quincy Adams Station. I cannot stress enough the idea that regular maintenance will greatly preserve the life of the garage.  I have yet to witness an organization that accomplished early and regular maintenance.

Logan Airport retrofitted EV charging stations into their garages.

A green roof comes at the expense of more spaces, or an additional structural level beyond the program.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance.  Good luck with the project!

Gretchen