[Massplanners] Electronic Message Boards vs. Menu Boards

Alexandra Lowder ALowder at tewksbury-ma.gov
Thu Jun 20 16:20:29 EDT 2024

Hi all,

Tewksbury has a definition of "electronic message boards" which reads as follows:

"Signs containing electronic message boards, which shall mean a digital sign that exhibits changing or moving illumination, or a sign with moving letters, symbols or changing messages which are displayed via light emitting diodes (LED), liquid crystal display (LCD), plasma, or similar display technologies, shall not be allowed except by special permit from the Planning Board."

This has become a little complicated as we have businesses like Dunkin Donuts looking to convert their static menu boards to these digital ones, as detailed above. The Planning Board has expressed interest in having an exemption for menu boards only as they typically serve drive thrus and are out of the public view.

I wanted to see if anyone in our community has examples of what this exemption might look like, or ways you have accommodated menu boards if different from traditional electronic messages board signs.

Thank you,
Alex

Alexandra Lowder
Community/Economic Development Planner