[Massplanners] Multiple Detached Dwellings bylaw

Leslie Snell LSnell at nantucket-ma.gov
Thu Jun 6 18:01:11 EDT 2024

Nantucket has a secondary and tertiary lot bylaw that allows a lot that couldn't otherwise be divided, to be divided into two or three lots, provided that the "extra" lots are subject to a covenant limiting the buyers income to 150% AMI.  The lots can also be sold/conveyed to a "qualified family member" without meeting the income limitation, provided that upon resale out of the family, the income requirement applies.

https://ecode360.com/11471875#11471875  See sections B, C, and D

We also have a rear lot subdivision bylaw that, essentially, requires proof that a conventional subdivision or ANR lot division is possible.  The rear lot subdivision can then be approved through the issuance of a special permit by the Planning Board allowing a minimum frontage of 20 feet, flexible lot design, and no compliance with the SRR.  Typically, access to the lots is through a shared driveway and almost all of the applications have created one or two new buildable lots.

https://ecode360.com/11471875#11471875  See section F

Leslie Woodson Snell, AICP, LEED AP
Director of Planning

Nantucket Planning & Economic Development Commission
Planning & Land Use Services (PLUS) Department
2 Fairgrounds Road
Nantucket, MA 02554