[Massplanners] Friday Boozy Question

Darlene Wynne dwynne at beverlyma.gov
Mon Jul 22 12:28:06 EDT 2024

Hi Chris,
Beverly adopted a brewery, distillery, winery use in our zoning ordinance
in 2016.  It is primarily a manufacturing use, but we included an allowance
for a “tasting” and/or retail use as a percentage of that space as an
accessory use. We had one brewery come in before then (the inspiration
behind the ordinance), and 3 opened in the following few years.  Brewery,
etc is a by right or special permit use depending on the district
(non-residential).

https://ecode360.com/29283349#29283349

Soon after our first businesses opened, the industry model shifted from the
small tasting room concept to more of a bar / entertainment type space. And
therefore our ordinance could stand to be updated. Similarly, we didn’t
account for the creativity - by need or design - of this industry. Things
like outdoor spaces, food trucks, live music and events. Those were not
discussed during our ordinance review.

As an example, two of our businesses arranged a shoot / slide between a
taco restaurant and the brewery (lower and behind it). Only food traveled
in that.   That was handled by the health department, but goes to show how,
at least our businesses, were creatively trying to serve customer needs and
stand out.

The alcohol permitting is handled separately by the local license board and
the state.

Best,

Darlene Wynne, AICP

*City of Beverly*

*Director of Planning & Development*

*978-605-2341*

*dwynne at beverlyma.gov <dwynne at beverlyma.gov>*

*--*

*When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State
has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be
kept confidential. *