[Massplanners] holder of right of way or easement a "party of interest" for Hearing notification

B bfitzgerald.ma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 14:55:14 EDT 2024

 BIll

Great point. Suprisingly, I haven't encountered the lack of notice to
private easement holders being an issue, but many may not realize their
rights are impinged until they go to do something in the future.

And, sometimes public easement holders may not have realized a project
could have an impact on, say, their utility installations. And let's not
forget prescriptive easements for, say water and sewer utilities.

So you are absolutely right, notice should should happen. And it should
also include other parties effectively of interest who might not show up in
the Assessor's records, and maybe not even on deeds. Seems a simple
fix--any engineer or surveyor not showing these encumbances on the plans
should be sanctioned, soŕry. (Best effort at least.) Then they can be added
to the notice list. The law should be changed, but many would argue the
notice provisions you mention are a minimum, so you can add to your local
regs.

It's also another good case for signs on the properties notifying people of
proposed develpment actions, as required in other jurisdictions and
discussed in this listserv not too long ago.

Bill Fitzgerald

Taunton Planning Board member