[Massplanners] mowing requirements

Rebecca Bachand rebecca.bachand at rbladesign.com
Fri Jul 5 11:53:51 EDT 2024

I love seeing so much interest from planners in more naturalized landscape
approaches! You might all be interested in following Ben Vogt, whose
efforts at growing and maintaining a prairie yard in a typical subdivision
got him a lot of experience in addressing these concerns. He even has tips
to avoid getting fined by the community/HOA: Monarch Gardens
<https://www.monarchgard.com/thedeepmiddle/simple-ways-to-avoid-fines>

"Cues to Care" are integral to the acceptance of these efforts, and as
noted by others can be hard to define.

Research from UMASS by Susannah Lerman and her team indicates mowing every
two weeks is ideal for maintaining lawns at a "respectable" (to your
neighbors) level while allowing growth of plants supporting birds, bees,
and other insects. Unfortunately, the links to her easy to share graphics,
etc seem to be broken, but maybe a hunt through her publications will offer
good info:: Susannah B. Lerman, Research Ecologist, USDA.gov
<https://research.fs.usda.gov/about/people/sblerman#products-tab>

An article from PENN cites Minnesota Extension/UMN Bee Labs
<https://www.pennlive.com/life/2022/08/bee-lawns-a-lazy-mower-way-to-help-pollinators.html>'
4-inch mowing height recommendation, but when I mow our lawn to 3" my
husband doesn't think I've cut it at all!
(The struggle is real, even for Landscape Architects!)

*Rebecca Bachand*, RLA, LEED AP®, ASLA

781-686-4486

*RBLA Design LLC*

rebecca at rbladesign.com

<rebecca at rbladesign.com>rbladesign.com

*Massachusetts WBE Certified*

*DBE Certified in Massachusetts, Rhode Island & New Hampshire*

Member of *CREW Boston*