[Massplanners] Substantial Use of a Special Permit

Richard Harris rhplanner01075 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 13:50:46 EST 2024

I saw other comments from Jeff and Dan. However, I would suggest that
merely filing a Definitive Subdivision Plan should not constitute
"substantial use". I think it needs to go at least a step further to the
point that the Definitive Plan is approved, endorsed, and recorded.

When I was Planning Director in South Hadley, the Planning Board held that
the improvements to allow development on a majority of the lots was
necessary to constitute "substantial use"; thus, the roadways, utilities
etc. sufficient to provide service to allow buildings to be constructed on
at least half the lots was required. There were suggestions by some
Planning Board members that even that wasn't sufficient.

Thank you

Richard Harris, AICP
PDR, LLC
Planning Consultant