[Massplanners] Municipally owned farmland

Corrin Meise-Munns cmeisemunns at longmeadow.org
Fri Feb 16 10:46:25 EST 2024

Hello Planners,

Longmeadow owns a parcel of working farmland under conservation restriction
that we lease out to a commercial farmer. We are kicking off a review of
the lease in order to require and/or encourage more ecologically-friendly
best practices to steward soil health and water quality. Not being farm
experts ourselves, we want to ensure that our lease considers these factors
while also steering clear of micro-managing the lessee to the point where
the contract becomes unattractive or unprofitable for the farmer.

Do any of your communities have experience in leasing farmland out to a
commercial farmer? If so, do you feel that your lease does a good job in
the aforementioned areas? Or, would you be interested in a brainstorm?
Always looking to learn from or with others.

Thanks,
Corrin

--
*Corrin Meise-Munns* *(she/her)*
Assistant Town Manager / Director of Planning & Community Development