[Massplanners] Zoning and housing units on Church Properties

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:38:38 EDT 2024

Sue

My thoughts on this.  Here in Madison WI the churches seem to be taking the need to serve their mission more seriously than in MA. There are several church related rental projects. I would argue that providing housing, even work force housing fits the religious charge for the church, and would provide such projects with a Chapter 40A Section 3 exemption. I strongly believe homeless shelters meet the charge of religious organizations; I think it would be a no brainer to argue deeply discounted affordable housing meets the charge; and I am beginning to think that, given the depth of the housing crisis, the argument can be made for work force housing. Looking at a recent series of articles from the Cape Enterprise, many working people cannot find housing within their financial reach.

Another twist is, several of the former church properties here in Madison have maintained chapels or church offices on site, knitting the two much more closely together.

There are a number of church properties across the Commonwealth that could (should) be considered for housing.  I could see a few big companies that would jump at the sites if regulatory hurdles,  and NIMBY, could be overcome with the religious exemption.

Maybe my thoughts will generate some feedback for you. Not familiar with court cases in MA except for serving the homeless.

Daniel Fortier, AICP
Retired Planner